Monday, March 8, 2010

How to get Italian Documents

With this post I will try to give ideas about how to obtain your Italian Documents.
First of all you need a full name,DOB(date of birth), and the comune where the records are located.
These are the three most important information.
My goal is that you can get your documents without wasting too much money. So the first way I recommend is take advantage of the internet and try through email. I found that most comunes have an email address. For example for Trausella- comune.trausella@netsurf.it . I found that sometimes you get a reply and other times they just send the documents without replying to your email. If you cant find the email of your comune try contacting the Province. They may provide you with other information. Most comunes dont charge to sent this documents. I have asked for 3 different documents to Trausella and never been charged for shipping or anything else.
The next thought is sending a fax. It may seem really outdated but it wont hurt you. It is very likely they have a fax and it would be a cheap way to send a letter. Another idea would be to try to contact the comune through phone. To do this you will need someone that speaks italian, so try looking for someone in a university or a language learning center. I am sure you can find someone that would be willing to help you. 


Now if this ideas dont work for you, we will need to spend a little more money:
Now most people request documents through a letter sent through the mail. The letter must be sent in Italian(I will post some templates later). Some people like to include an International Reply Coupon and others include an amount of money to pay for the reply stamp. I have read that many IRC are never used and that money is almost always returned. You can send another letter to the comune but wait some time. You need to have a little of patience.


The last thing I recommend is to order the documents through a company. Most of this services have mix reviews. I have heard good experiences and really bad stories. I had a negative experience since I never got my documents and only got a partial refund. I don't recommend paying for this service because most of the things i described above are the same things they do. So why pay extra for something you can do by yourself for much less money and maybe even get a response faster. Up to today, i have received 3 documents from Italy that i asked by myself and no documents from the ICGS service. So for me this is the last alternative when nothing is working for you.


Hope these info helps you.

No comments:

Post a Comment